Frequently Asked Questions
Do you cover all state transfers in the USA?

Yes, we have researched all 50 states and the District of Columbia so you can rest easy that no matter where you are moving we have you covered with our extensive checklist guides.

What if I am transferring a vehicle title in the same state-will Transfer My Auto help?

Yes, we guide you through the process of transferring vehicle titles intrastate as well as across state lines.

This sounds great but is there a fee or cost for the title transfer guides?

No! We offer our expert guidelines as a complimentary service to help you save time to get in and out of the DMV with a smile on your face. It is free to use and you receive all the benefit of our collective research and experience by simply completing the online questionnaire. Just tell your friends and sign-up for updates so we can help you when you need it in the future.

What if I have additional recommendations to share?

We love feedback and have built that into our website. Simply click on the “Feedback” tab on the right side of the screen to enter. Of course we welcome calls as well at 919-544-3662 EXT. 118.

Can Transfer My Auto help me with other DMV questions I may have beyond vehicle title transfer?

We are happy to help but our specialty is in guiding you through the title transfer process. However if you have ideas for future services please send your feedback online!

I found a technical problem with your website. Whom do I contact?

To report a technical problem with our web site, please call our help desk at 919-544-3662 EXT. 118 or send an email to: [email protected].

Does the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) have anything to do with the state's Motor Vehicle Property Tax or the Highway Use Tax? ?

Motor Vehicle Property Tax rates are determined by the county in which you reside. The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does however, handle the state Highway Use Tax (HUT). This tax is determined by vehicle type and takes the place of state sales tax. The Highway Use Tax (HUT) is levied when a title is transferred. Some vehicles are exempt from the Highway Use Tax.

Will my Motor Vehicle Property Tax be prorated if move to a different county?

The tax is not prorated between state counties. If you have questions about your Motor Vehicle Property Tax you can contact your county tax office.

Are there any vehicles that are exempt from the state's Motor Vehicle Property Tax?

Yes, and they include:

  • Manufactured homes.
  • Vehicles in confidential status.
  • Semi-trailers leased on a multi-year basis.
  • Mobile classrooms and offices.
  • Motor vehicles owned or leased by public service companies.
What costs, other than the asking price, can I expect to pay when buying a used vehicle in North Carolina?

Buying a vehicle costs a lot more than the final sale price. Generally, you should also be prepared to:

  • Pay a Highway Use Tax.
  • Pay a property tax to your county.
  • Pay a North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) registration fee.
  • Pay a license plate fee.
  • Pay a title transfer fee.
  • Buy a car insurance policy.
  • Pay for a vehicle inspection/emissions test.
Can I import a car that's over 25 years old?

Even if the vehicle does not comply with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS), you can still legally drive it. However, you must provide documentation that the vehicle is at least 25 years old. A registration form or an invoice documenting when the vehicle was first sold will suffice as proof. If you can't uncover proper documentation, the NHTSA will accept a statement from a certified vehicle historical society. When completing a Declaration (Form HS-7), be sure to check the first box.

I can't find a certification label with my imported vehicle. How do I know whether it complies with National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) standards?

Directly contact the vehicle's manufacturer. If you need assistance gathering contact information, look in your vehicle's owner manual or call the NHTSA's Office of Vehicle Safety Compliance at (202) 366-5291. It is also a good idea to read through the NHTSA's website, as importing a vehicle requires certain paperwork and you must also follow certain laws.